All Stories, Crime/Mystery/Thriller, General Fiction

Skipping by Hugh Cron

The two of them laughed as they skipped into the woods.

“You are rubbish!”

“I know sweet cheeks, my coordination is terrible.”

“It’s step forward, pause, step forward other foot, pause, step forward only quickly. Sing ‘Mary Mary, Quite Contrary…And You’ll get it.”

He tried.

They both bent over laughing.

“Come on lets swing arms as we walk, that’s about the best that I can do!”

The little girl laughed. She looked over to her left and beamed a smile.

“You’ve always liked daisies, haven’t you?”

“I like yellow.”

“You like the sun as well.”

“We don’t see it often.”

“I know sweet cheeks. That’s the problem in where we stay, there’s too much grey weather!”

“Wouldn’t it be nice if the sun always shone.”

“Yes. I wish it would but what the hell, we get rain, but that’s what makes the grass green…And do you know what else?”

She stopped and stared into his eyes.

“What?”

“The grey days and rain is what makes the daisies so white and yellow.”

She began to skip. Then laughed. She grabbed him by the hand and swung their arms.

“OK, I can take the grey as long as there are always daisies!”

“So how was school today?”

“OK, I suppose. I don’t like Jim though, he annoys me.”

“What about?”

“He says that my hair is yellow.”

“Tell him your hair is blonde! Blonde is a beautiful colour and all the boys would be happy to see you as a blonde as you get older.”

“But he says that it is yellow.”

“He’s an idiot!”

“I know but…”

“Ah-ha!! You like him, don’t you?”

“No! I think he’s a loser!”

“You can’t lie to me! I can see your wee face going red! You like him, don’t you? Come on! Admit it!”

She began to dig into the soil with her foot, “Well maybe. It’s just…That he teases me!”

“Listen sweet cheeks, that is something us stupid males do to hide from the girls that we really like.”

“Cross your heart?”

“Hah! I’ve not heard that for a very long while! I cross my heart and hope to die if I am not telling the truth!”

The little girl began to beam.

“So…You mean that he really likes me?”

“Of course he does. He’s just an idiot and doesn’t realise it yet.”

“So, should I…”

“No! Say nothing and do nothing. Let him come to you! Let him suffer!”

She began to giggle.

“Will he suffer?”

He pulled her into him, “Of course he will! He thinks you don’t know how he feels and you will be all cooey about him, that’s why you say nothing.”

“And that way, he will suffer?”

“Exactly! You are quite a sharp wee cookie!”

She smiled at him, “I’ll try but I think I may laugh!”

He swung her round towards him, “That’s even better! Laughing at him will really confuse him…What the hell, I want to try skipping again!!”

She giggled as he tripped himself up as they danced deeper into the woods.

…“And how do you know my dad again?”

 

Hugh Cron

Image – Google Daisies – Wallpaper

14 thoughts on “Skipping by Hugh Cron”

  1. It is dull, it is raining again and we have a big bad wolf fairy tale. So has the evil nature of humans changed much? As with the internet there is a new environment stalked by the perverted.

    Back to the story:
    Perhaps she’ll suggest playing hide and seek, and he never finds her. (Just looking for a happy ending on Friday).

    Like

    1. Thanks as always James!!
      Maybe one of these days I’ll allow her to play ‘Hide And Seek’.
      For now, I don’t think I could write a happy ending if one chapped my door and asked me out for a pint!!
      Cheers my friend.
      Hugh

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks you so much!!
      My only problem with this is that anyone who has read any of my work knew it wasn’t going to end well!!
      All the very best.
      Hugh

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Hi Dave,
      I always love a story that the last sentence gets me. So for you to say that I am very happy!!
      Thanks as always my friend.
      Hugh

      Like

  2. I knew something vile was lurking ahead, which aids the high quality here because it still hit like a slap across the face. I find dasies sinister. They are Flora’s equivalent to the evil peach-face love bird.

    Like

    1. Hi Irene,
      You will really need to send us a list of what you know is evil.
      I have only a few: Sainsburys, Turtle Necks, Itchy Arse Wool, Brandy Snaps, Cod Roe, Driving, Working, Politicians, The Church and Shredded Jellyfish.
      I really can’t thank you enough for the kind comments.
      Keep being you!
      Hugh

      Liked by 1 person

      1. My formula for evil will someday net me the Nobel Prize for the Addle-Minded. You see, all things contain evil, but three quarters also contain good. The left over all evil 25% is mostly composed of supposedly “cute” or “harmless” items, such as peach-face love birds, daisies and babies. Babies are by far and away evilmost. Only a demon can shit himself and still have all the girls go GaGa for him. Oslo, here I am!

        Like

Leave a reply to ireneallison12 Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.