Short Fiction

Week 477 – Mouldy Juice, A Nod To One Of The Few And Patrick, Sam And Ben – Your Legacy Is Safe.

I read this week that OJ was dead. I wonder if him and the whiter than white Mr Jackson ever worried about the courtroom in the sky?

…Or maybe down below??

Wait a minute! Nope, I think I was right first off, the courtroom in the sky. They (Peter has a team) get a bonus for sending those down below. If they meet their quota, it’s three weeks in Shagaluf, a case of coke and a bucket of brandy. They need to pay for their own hookers though – Well it is financed from heaven after all!!

Isn’t it strange that Jackson is still everywhere in radio land but Glitter is never heard of??

And to Jackson’s fans, don’t give me the, ‘He wasn’t convicted’ shite!!

I would have convicted Simpson long ago. That would have been around the time that he started his ‘acting’ career. Mind you, his performance in court was Oscar worthy!! The way that he emphasised that glove fitting was genius.

Enough of this nonsense and onto more! Here’s this week’s posting. We are now at Week 477. That is a fine number.

…I don’t know why, but I think I’d like to be friends with the number 477.

…I don’t get out much.

Since the number 477 has ghosted me…Did I get that reference right??

I shall carry on.

First off – I state once again I hate SKY – They have ruined ‘The Masters’ by monopolising.

I’ve many happy memories about watching that tournament but not for the last few years.

I think I’ll give up when they take over the Snooker and the Olympics. I’ll be shouting for the machines when they rise up. I’ll be the guy on the back of a running toaster screaming, ‘Die you SkyLab, sorry, Sky bastards!!’

I’d never trust an Air Fryer to be my steed of choice, those bastards have wheedled themselves into our society very quietly and I’m suspicious of them! (Give me four pounds of lard, a gas ring and a soup pot any-day!!)

Anyhow…

I’ve never considered myself a writer but I do blame my writer’s curiosity on any dark thoughts that I have.

I’m sure that I’ve mentioned this before but what has made me re-visit this, is the whole mental health quagmire that we are now in. Every court case you read about, reports are being awaited to see if the prick had any mental health problems. Here’s the thing, we all have. Now and again, reasons don’t matter, you sometimes have to stand up and be counted for what you did and not why you did it, (Allegedly!!)

I may have killed people, have folks commit suicide, killed children, taken drugs, manipulated, been a bastard in general, drowned a gran, been blasphemous (On many an occasion!), created a couple of monsters, considered possession and such-like in my writing and therefore in my thoughts but does that mean that I have mental health issues??

…Probably! But I’ll own that every day of the week.

One of the very few knowledgeable and excellent mental health nurses I knew, (No offence folks, a lot of them run to the hills when they have to face reality. I very seldom consider them real nurses – I’ve seen too many Pussybawz in my time who only do it for the prestige of the job and have fuck all to do with their patients.) stated that no matter what any person swears to, there’s some form of racism, bigotry or intolerance in all of us. The thing is, it all depends on how we handle those character traits that we have. Sometimes the best thing to do is simply to accept our thoughts as being there, but not to be acted on. Let’s be honest, surely Mother Teresa even thought at least one person was a cunt! (Who were the Popes whilst she was alive?? Was it Moses??)

I think the same of any darkness, we all have it in us. It depends on how we handle it and how it manifests itself.

If you’re a writer or someone who doesn’t even consider themselves to be a writer, then you can write it down. Other folks can listen to some music, go to the church if that’s their thing, shag, drink, take drugs or even go to the doctor – What you fucking don’t do is kill innocents and then after the fact blame it on your mental health.

Before I get slated for that last statement, of course there are people who are so ill that they have no control over their actions. But here’s another thing, those are the ones who wouldn’t vocalise their reasoning is ever due to their mental health as they don’t realise that is what is affecting them.

Okay onto this week’s stories.

We only had one new writer, two returners and two well established authors who have sixty seven stories between them.

As always, we welcome our new folks and as also always, our initial comments follow.

First up was D J Roosh with his debut story, ‘The Wave.’

‘A bit of mystique in this one.’

‘D J left some of the details to the reader – That always shows a confidence within the writer.’

‘Good on D J for working on this, it was worth it.’

Amy Tryphena returned to the site with, ‘Knockers’.

‘An excellent piece.’

‘I’m sure this would be snapped up.’

‘Amy got the tone to perfection.’

Mick Bloor is a very busy writer. This is his sixteenth story for us but Mick is the most industrious within the other features on the site.

An Appreciation Of Alfredo Epps’ – The Last Jacobite’ broke the back of the week.

‘I love the way Mick has with language.’

‘A fine example of Mick’s work.’

‘Clever.’

The master of the snap-shot story was published on Thursday for the fifty-first time with, ‘Mary, Mary

It’s a continual pleasure to show-case Adam Kluger’s work.

‘Adam’s work always has subtilty and thought behind it.’

‘There is no-one better at these type of stories.’

‘This type of writing looks easy but it isn’t. Adam does them with ease.’

And on Friday we had our second second-timer.

Ed Dearnley’s ‘Last Stable Back-Up’ completed the week.

‘I don’t know if trusting that guy with a body would be a good idea!’

‘I thought of this as removing a SIM.’

‘This will give the SciFiers something to think on.’

That’s us for another week folks.

Just the usual, keep commenting and saying thanks!

Check out the other Sunday Features we have and if you want to get involved we’ll always be delighted to publish what you send us.

Before I finish I’d like to pass on a tip.

If you are stressed, use a stress-ball.

Stick it to a brick and throw it at the bastard that’s stressing you!!

For a piece of end music, I give you one of my favourite groups.

However, another of their songs, (Which I really do like.) has the daftest of lyrics:

‘Tonight there’s going to be a jail-break, somewhere in the town.’

…At the jail I presume!!! It really is a bit of a no-brainer.

No matter, here is the wonderful ‘Thin Lizzy’ with one of the best versions of one of my favourite songs.

(Fuck, I typed one more than one time then!!!)

Hugh

PS – Just watched twenty minutes of the new ‘Roadhouse’

There is no Sam Elliot type character. (Kurt Russell would have been a cracking choice)

Gwen showed me the Connor MacGregor introduction to the film. The smile on his cheeks is an improvement to the smile on his face.

…And just don’t watch it, it’s beyond awful.

…You’ll regret it if you do!!!

Image – banner – Red background. Second Image a toaster bus for Hugh to ride into battle on  KoStAsEf from Pixabay

16 thoughts on “Week 477 – Mouldy Juice, A Nod To One Of The Few And Patrick, Sam And Ben – Your Legacy Is Safe.”

  1. Hugh

    Just heard that on today’s playlist!

    You are a writer, as far as I am concerned.

    The mental illness defense can be applied to any violent crime. For instance, at the end of The Road Warrior when Max cuffs the guy’s ankle to the car that will soon explode, hands the guy a hack saw and tells him his options, the guy says he is sick. But Max could claim the same because that sicko he cuffed to the car killed Max’s wife and child, which caused Max to go “temporarily insane.” Both might be true, but I know which side the jury might fall on.

    Thus, like most every other perception, sanity becomes the winner of a popularity contest.

    Lots to think about! (Corporations continue to ruin all they touch, including sports.)

    Leila

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Hi Leila,

      Mental health is the new ‘Sore back’.

      There was an old doctor in Auchinleck mid 1970’s who would walk into his surgery’s waiting room of a Monday morning and state, any ‘Miners can sod off and clock in!’

      Folks may think I’m being un-just with the mental health thing but I’m not. My problem is, I’ve seen folks who needed immediate help and folks who were manipulating. The problem is those who were manipulating were ten-fold and they cause those who truly needed help to be missed simply because those fuckers knew what trigger words to use.

      Thank you so much for the ‘You are a writer’ line but I reckon I agree with Doug. I reckon for me, in my mind, it’s not to do with earnings, (I wish to fuck it was to do with the lack of them!!!) it’s more to do with being quoted. If I ever read somewhere that I was quoted, I’d consider myself a writer of a line and that one line would make me happy.

      And every time that I see golf on the TV I think of Peter Alliss (Sp??) and my dad. Me and my father had a weird relationship but we enjoyed watching the golf together.

      Peter Alliss has a lot in common with my dad, they both played golf, they both wore khaki coloured trousers and…They’re both deid. (Just needed a wee bit black humour today!!! – It keeps me sane!!)

      Hugh

      Like

      1. Hugh

        I forgot to mention that I am the proud owner of a Fry Daddy and there will never be an air fryer allowed near my kitchen. The mere idea of “air fried” fish and potatoes makes me ill. Spare the lard and you spoil the taste. Hell, if you are going to get fat, might as well enjoy the ride.

        Leila

        Like

  2. Entertaining post and good review of the week’s stories. I consider myself as someone who writes but not “a writer.” Not sure what the dividing line is. I need to check out the Thin Lizzy catalog because I don’t listen to them enough. I guess if the mental illness defense is applied strictly in court (the accused truly didn’t know the difference between right and wrong at the instant of the crime), it’s valid. Too often the truth seems to get blurred though. I like that Road Toaster!

    Liked by 1 person

      1. I am afraid that you “Mr I am not a writer” guys might be courting eternal trouble.

        If there is a Heaven and St. Peter, he will (at the very least) have 6G internet. He will probably check and find stuff written by you even though you feign innocence–so I wouldn’t want anyone to be a victim of a misunderstanding.

        Of course, that will not prevent Hugh, as I know and admire him, from bursting into flames on arrival. But I think he would insist on that should it not happen spontaneously.

        A word to the wise!

        Leila

        Liked by 1 person

      2. Hi Doug,

        You’re comment is my ideology.

        Hope your heart isn’t hurting just as much!

        All the very best my fine friend.

        Hugh

        Like

      3. Doing better. As I was sitting at the computer, I noticed a memorial for the / some cat. Years ago I woke up to see what appears to be black marks from the / some cat’s paws. The position of the marks doesn’t look like something a cat could reach.

        Like

    1. Hi Dave,

      I think the same about my writing.

      ‘Blurred lines’ are topics that never end – Positive and negative aspects and everything in between!!

      I adore ‘Thin Lizzy’ and their history. You have off-shoots of Gary Moore, Mick Ronson and Midge Ure. There is a documentary floating about somewhere where Phil’s wee Ma talks about him and how he died – What a strong, wonderful dedicated lady. It’s worth having a look.

      Thanks as always my fine friend.

      Hugh

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Ah Hugh that some took me back f’sure! I remember seeing them at Quaintways in Chester, before they ‘hit it big’. Phil Lynott definitely had a presence. Thanks to you and Leila and everyone else for all your hard work!
    cheers,
    Steven

    Like

    1. Hi Steven,

      I’m jealous.

      I’ll probably post ‘Parisienne Walkways’ one of these days but that may be more about Gary Moore.

      Thanks so much for the comment – Much appreciated!

      All the very best my fine friend.

      Hugh

      Like

  4. If you’re not a writer, Hugh then none of us are. Hmm maybe that’s true but I hope not. Surely, if you write you are a writer and if you write stuff that others want to read then you are definitely a writer and I surely want to read your stuff. Personally I reckon I’m a hack but I enjoy it and I think that’s the main thing. Great, thought provoking post as always; Thanks – Diane

    Liked by 1 person

  5. Hi Diane,

    I think on it as there are so many things that I do that I don’t want to do so the thing that I want to be will never be.

    I really am a miserable old bastard at times!!

    …Although I wouldn’t have it any other way!! In the words of the brilliant Mrs Doyle in ‘Father Ted’, ‘Maybe I likes the misery’!!

    Thanks as always.

    Hugh

    Like

  6. You are most certainly a writer – your ‘voice’ in your writing is superb and unique and I love it. Perhaps you speak exactly the same in real life, but all the more reason it should be put down on the page in my opinion.

    Like

    1. Hi Paul,

      Thanks so much for the kind comments. An old teacher did say to me once that I wrote as I spoke and that was a difficult thing to do. I’m maybe just beginning to understand that now!

      All the very best my fine friend.

      Hugh

      Like

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.