auld author

Auld Author – Mark Frankland – The Cull–Hugh Cron

This book means a lot to me.

Fuck knows how long ago it was when I read it.

It’s reasonably local as it is based in Dumfries which is around sixty miles from my door. I’ve spent many a time there through work.

This story touches on drug use and the dealers whose types I’ve had to deal with. It also explains a bit more on how young professionals got hooked on heroin early eighties. They used it to come down from the eccies so that they could continue their professions.

The book explores the power that the suppliers have and how that be counter-acted by the idea of taking away anonymity. It is so simple and actually quite brilliant. I won’t spoil this detail but the way that it’s done is superb.

Oh sorry folks, I’m writing about ‘The Cull’ by Mark Frankland.

Why it has stayed with me, is quite simple – It simplifies so many complex issues. This story narrows down our belief on the power of the IRA. It shows that it is only fear that allows the drug dealers to do business. It touches on why folks get addicted and more importantly, it gives a very clear idea on how this can be resolved.

The idea of double using is explained very clearly.

The ending is excellent in so many ways. I won’t go into that just in case anyone wants to read. But the premise of an IRA head-honcho sitting having a drink with a British Army Major is something that will always stay with me.

Respect of adversaries is something that is hard to understand. The only way we see it is when two boxers cuddle just after they have tried to knock the shit out of each other!!

Mr Frankland is a very interesting character. He wrote a book of short stories called ‘Roads To Down’. The shorts were all about drug use and more importantly on the reasons that folks got hooked. If what I read was correct, he wanted that book to be distributed into schools. I don’t know if he managed that, I hope he did as the collection was truthful. He did an amazing cross-over from an adult topic to the youngsters that it effects.

Most folks, when talking about drugs, have a very insular attitude especially if they have no experience. This book gives you the best insight ever.

…Well except the hit!

And fuck me…You don’t want to experience the first!

…Because looking for the same, is what causes the problem!!

Hugh Cron

5 thoughts on “Auld Author – Mark Frankland – The Cull–Hugh Cron”

  1. Hugh

    I doubt that an honest book about addiction can get past the Just Say No Karens who know nothing about the subject. Because it is necessary to confess that the real world has nothing but bad things in it for people whose brains are wired a certain way.

    This one sounds very interesting and I think I will see if I can find it on Amazon.

    Thank you

    Leila

    Like

    1. Hi Leila,

      Thanks so much for the comment.

      It’s a simple story about a complex issue simplified. I think that is the genus of it.

      It’s an easy read and I reckon you would eat it in a night or two.

      Thanks again.

      Hugh

      Like

  2. No no Mr Henson!!

    I’ll not have that!!!

    You are far too an intelligent writer to ever call yourself dense!!!!!

    The book is one of those that would make a very satisfying movie. (Revenge is always a crowd-pleaser!)

    Thanks as always my fine friend.

    Hugh

    Like

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.