Background
Latest News

Literally Stories – Week 37

typewriter

Last Sunday Literally Stories Editor, Tobias Haglund, chose his three favourite stories published on the site in the regular weekend feature,  ‘Editor Picks’.

If you would like a turn at Editor Picks email us at: literallystories2014@gmail.com and tell us in less than a 1000 words why you think your three selections are special.

Monday, Diane Dickson reflected on This Face and a life and what was left of it, fond memories but a lot of gaps and oh dear isn’t it all a muddle when you stop and think stuff such as; ‘Last week I stood for hours in the kitchen with a chicken in my hands.  I knew it was a chicken, now why should that be? Not exactly feel-good fare but still the odd wry smile amidst the heartache.

‘I gave him what was left of my hand because he asked for it with such a kindness; he even called me miss.’ A memorable opening line from an equally memorable début story on LS by Jono Naito,  who sent us to  Neverland in the Everglades with no Peter Pan to guide us, rather, a ‘gator wrestler with anaconda muscles. Nice.

Welcome Jono.

Stockholm is pretty chilly come December. And so it was that not even the relative warmth of the subway was enough to warm Tobias Haglund’s MC in Still Working.  No one can agree on unemployment figures but there will be few dissenters when it comes this story.

‘English Wells fought the Pumquich River for forty years, moving his will ever by degrees at it.’  wrote Tom Sheehan in River Water Larceny. Another first line on LS this week that defied you not to read on. A man versus nature tale cum saga richly observed in Tom’s inimitable style.

Addicts of dm gillis brand of literary dope did not have to wait too long  for their latest fix. A Miracle on Granville Street witnessed dubious cuisine, Christopher Walken on a Vancouver walk-about and a religious convert with fickle tendencies.

The usual bland formula then ( insert smiley face.)

Anyone who does not know what comes next – hint – it’s an announcement of a similar magnitude to the Oscar nominations – is either a) not on the internet b) not on the planet c) not on first-name terms with my part-time Assistant Editor and full-time dogsbody, Mabel.

024
Dogsbody

In the race to become this weeks’ Premier Pooch Tobias Haglund ‘wonalot’ more *votes than his rivals, doggedly outstaying them all.

I give you Story of the Week, The Troubadour. I give him a mangy old bone my assistant unearthed recently.

story of the week banner

There is a saying ‘Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.’  If you love any of the following stories then you are but a click away from making someone very happy>>>

*Not true – he only polled one more vote than his nearest rival, but one has to cheat in order to make some puns work!

3 thoughts on “Literally Stories – Week 37”

  1. all of this week’s stories are great, but this dm gillis character needs to get off of the drugs! Maybe taking up needlepoint would help. I hear it helped Gertrude Stein get over her compulsive hoarding of leather tea cozies, at least for a while. Needlepoint is also said to have helped Honoré de Balzac overcome his addiction to puffy sleeved shirts; he wore up to fifty a day, sometimes all at once! It also helped James Joyce recover from his addiction to spotted dick, which was a relief for him since the suet pudding just isn’t Irish. Joyce kept an ample supply, up to 75 a day, hidden in a laundry basket. How he stayed so thin remains a mystery.

    Ever yours,
    a concerned reader

    Liked by 2 people

Leave a reply to gwencron Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.