All Stories, General Fiction

Your Grief Doesn’t Interest Me by Simon Nadel

“You got old early.”

Hannah didn’t need to finish the thought. She’d already said it so many times, and then, when she got tired of saying it, she left. But even when she came back to pick up this or that, she sometimes would say it again, maybe for old time’s sake. “You got old early when you lost your job and started spending your days getting way too wrapped up in the neighbors’ business.” I never had a good response, even though clearly I had plenty of time to come up with one.

“I think the guys from the group house killed Barry,” I said to her.

“Adam,” she said, “you’re way too invested in this. He wasn’t even our cat. It’s a little weird.”

“He was a cat. And he was my friend,” I said, though I was pretty sure that last part wasn’t going to make it seem less weird.

“And you don’t know that they did anything. He might really have been hit by a car.”

“I got a bad vibe from them, especially when I’d see them feeding him. It didn’t seem like they were being nice. They’re pretty shady. Have you seen the skinny one with the creepy mustache?”

Hannah was standing at the front door with a big cardboard box in her arms, looking like she wanted the conversation to be over. “Don’t do anything you’ll regret,” she said.

I shrugged. “What could I possibly do?” But we both knew there were limitless possibilities, and none that could be deemed smart.

“Can you get the door?” Hannah said.

“I was gonna make some steaks tonight, if you feel like staying for dinner.”

“I can’t,” she said, motioning toward the front door.

“Hot date?”

“Adam!”

I got up and opened the door. I waited in the doorway while she put the box in the trunk of her car and drove away. I could see the guys from the group house playing beer pong on their front lawn. It was Friday night, which meant they’d be having a party in a few hours. Okay, I thought, now we’re gonna find out what really happened to Barry.

***

When their overly indulged four-year-old daughter said she wanted a cat, the Sullivans quickly adopted Barry from a shelter on New York Avenue. He was missing half his left ear. He’d been named after our former mayor.

Barry walked the fence between our houses. Hannah and I called him Checkpoint Charlie. Sometimes he’d leave dead squirrels or rabbits for us, prominently laid out on our lawn. I felt bad for the little animals, but I couldn’t blame Barry. He was just being true to himself. “It’s just Barry being Barry,” I would say to Hannah, and she’d reply, “Would you just go clean it up?”

He never left the carcasses in the Sullivans’ yard. They would joke that it was because Barry liked me more. Barry spent a lot of time with me, especially after I lost my job and had plenty of time to hang out. Some days, he was the only one I talked to until Hannah got home. “That’s not healthy,” she’d say to me if I mentioned it.

Barry died alone on the dirty, dusty street right in front of that group house. It reminded me of the way Charlotte died at the fairground in “Charlotte’s Web.” Only Charlotte wasn’t murdered, and I was pretty sure Barry was.

***

I drank straight bourbon and listened to a mix of Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, and Shane MacGowan until I was right in that sweet spot between melancholy and inebriated self righteousness. Then I headed over to the party at the group house.

 “Did any of you see what happened to the cat, the one that was found here a few weeks ago?” I said to the crowd gathered on the front lawn.

The skinny kid with the creepy mustache stepped forward threateningly. “I heard his head was bashed in,” he said. “That’s the kind of thing that could happen to anyone.”

I so desperately wanted to punch this kid. “If you guys had anything to do with it…”

“Go home faggot,” he said. There was some murmuring and nervous laughter.

“Okay, tough guy,” I said, and poked a finger into his chest. I don’t know why I thought that was a good idea.

He shoved me hard, and I lost my balance and fell flat on my back. For everyone else at the party, the whole episode was over. They went back to their drinks and conversations. I laid on the lawn and stared up at the night sky. The stars had formed into a perfect recreation of Barry’s face, right down to the missing half ear. “I’m sorry I wasn’t able to avenge you,” I said, I thought to myself, but more likely out loud. The Barry in the sky winked at me and I imagined I could hear him purring. Then somebody poured a beer on me, and when I wiped the suds from my eyes, the constellation of Barry was gone, replaced by random lights dotting the vast blackness. I knew it was time for me to go home.

Shortly after that, the guys from the group house moved out, and the old house was demolished and replaced with a McMansion, which was sold to a young couple with too many kids. I can’t say I liked that family much, but as far as I knew, they hadn’t killed any cats, so I suppose they could have been worse.

I got a new job, just as soul sucking as the previous one, and I fully expect to lose it soon. And I’ve started writing. I was thinking it might be cathartic to write a story about Barry, though it seems like everyone these days is writing about working through some sort of grief or other.

Simon Nadel

Image – Ginger cat winking – from Pixabay.com

11 thoughts on “Your Grief Doesn’t Interest Me by Simon Nadel”

  1. Simon

    A hard but beautifully written thing. Enough pain for all plus extra helpings for animals. Pain is the original sustainable resource. I admire the piece for it’s relentless honesty. Poor Barry. It’s hard to pity the monster who did that sort of thing. But on some level one must.

    Leila

    Like

  2. I loved the downbeat ending – sometimes a twist or big finale is just what isn’t needed. A poignant and well-crafted piece!

    Like

  3. A poignant story this one. Poor Barry. Bbut there is sadness all around. It’s a hard world much of the time and the melancholy tone of this was perfect I thought. – thank you – Diane

    Liked by 1 person

  4. A fine story that conveys much — character development, a tattered relationship, conflict — economically. It seems at the end Adam has let Barry rest in peace and is moving on. Good luck to him with his writing.

    Like

  5. A story about a little old man befriending a cat named after a politician? Art imitates life, Duke! Lighthearted, funny story that is just the right length. Enough backstory to make the MC understandable. Adam’s peculiarities are endearing and this is a rather charming story of a person who doesn’t quite fit in. Well done.

    Like

  6. Hi Simon,

    Not really sure what the dynamics of a group home is. The only thing that springs to mind is the college folks in the film ‘Bad Neighbours’.
    Here, the Homeless system did try something like this where two folks were allowed to share a ‘rent’. All that happened was the parties were bigger and they had to split the proceeds after selling all the ‘included’ furniture.
    Anyhow, that doesn’t really matter as I suppose there are examples of this no matter where you go.
    What I did like about this was the intent. There was an intent of revenge or comeuppance but the MC wasn’t able to follow it through. That probably happens more times than Hollywood would let us believe.
    I hope Barry was looking down on them all and he eventually acted out his own revenge.
    I’ve said on many an occasion that a revenge story is always well received, this on the other-hand doesn’t make you feel good after reading it but I think the realism is there for us all to see.

    Excellent.

    Hugh

    Like

  7. what a stunner this story is. I wish I could hug both the narrator and Barry. Aww, “checkpoint charlie!”—my god, each character so perfectly drawn—holy moly. Thank you, it’s wonderful, and I’m crying.

    Like

  8. The MC epitomizes the mass murderer who neighbors will later say “He was strange and kept to himself.

    The group home thing seems odd. Was it for young small time criminals? In any case, a group home should have supervision, and resouces which didn’t seem true here. A relative, maybe two, is in a group home.

    Like

  9. As others have said I also love the ending as it’s a much more likely true-to-life ending. Very well-written and reminds me a lot of the short story master, Raymond Carver.

    Like

  10. Poignant and clearly written story… this guy trying to make some meaning from his existence after his significant other leaves, to avenge the death of his cat, to be a hero even if only to himself…. I like the mix of songwriters he was listening to, that and the bourbon inspired his courage to confront the group home people…

    Like

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.