All Stories, General Fiction, Historical

Buffalo Bill’s Day Out by Michael Bloor

On July 3rd, 1903, Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show gave a performance in Abergavenny, a market town in the Black Mountains of South Wales. The town sits surrounded by seven hills, but the most prominent is The Sugar Loaf (it’s Welsh name is Pen-y-fâl), which looms over the town. At the close of his show, Buffalo Bill annouced to the crowd his intention to climb The Sugar Loaf the next morning. It was said that, the next day, Bill was accompanied up the mountain by half the adults and all the children of the town.

As a child in the 1960s, Evan Hughes had often heard the story of Buffalo Bill’s visit from his grandfather, Arthur Hughes, who had been one of the children with Buffalo Bill that day. Their route up the mountain began by walking up the tramway that carried the stone from the sandstone quarry lying on that edge of the mountain closest to the town. They were guided by the quarry foreman, great-grandfather Rhodri Hughes and his then-young son, Arthur. Bill was interested in the great Clydesdale horses that powered the tramway and were pastured on Rhodri’s smallholding below the quarry. Bill explained to young Arthur that the horses he’d ridden for The Pony Express were much shorter and lighter than the heavy Clydesdales: The Pony Express horses were bred for endurance.

Arthur wanted to know what horses the Indians rode: did Sitting Bull  have a Pony Express horse?

His father told Arthur not to pester Buffalo Bill, but Bill was in a genial mood and happy to indulge a child’s curiousity: ‘Well, Arthur, Plains Indians, like the Lakota Sioux, had similar horses to ours. I was told that the Indians’ horses had originally been bred from wild horses – they would have to have been speedy and tough to survive. And they say that the ancestors of those wild horses had originally been brought to Mexico by the Spaniards. But I can tell you, for sure, that the favourite horse of my great friend, Chief Sitting Bull, was a horse that I gave him as a parting gift when he had to leave The Wild West Show, back in 1885.’

‘Wow, Mr Cody. You and Sitting Bull were great friends?’ 

‘Bet your boots, we were, Master Hughes. Having Sitting Bull’s friendship was a privilege: he was a great leader of his people. The Latoka Sioux would’ve followed him to the ends of the Earth…’

Bill paused to catch his breath: ‘Why is this part of the mountain called “The Dairy,” Rhodri?’

‘Not “The Dairy” sir, but “The Deri.” Deri is an Old Welsh word for Oak tree. And as you can see, oaks still grow here in abundance. As we get higher up the mountain, the oaks get more stunted, but hereabouts they still make great timber – all the lintels in my cottage are made of oak from the mountain.’

They had reached a kind of intermediate plateau, out of which the top of The Sugar Loaf reared in front of them. Arthur, having left a decent interval of silence out of courtesy, renewed his inquisition: ‘Why did Sitting Bull have to leave the show, Mr Cody?’

‘Well, we’d finished the tour, so he went back to his home on the reservation. I wanted the chief to come and tour with me again, but I guess we both knew that those government people wanted him where they could keep an eye on him. And maybe they didn’t like the idea of an Indian becoming world famous. Then, as soon as there was more trouble with the Sioux – that “Ghost Dance” business – they shot him. Called it “resisting arrest.” I wish I could’ve saved him – I tried. I reckon there’s some folks thought that a great leader like that was just too dangerous to live.’

After that, Bill and Arthur and Rhodri fell silent for a spell, listening to the respectful chatter of the following crowd. They were now among a scattering of the stunted oaks that Rhodri had spoken of. Bill asked Rhodri about a couple of circular depressions that they’d passed. Rhodri said he’d been told that they were originally pits used by charcoal burners, but there was no call for charcoal now that the coal mines were operating. More recently, they’d been lined with clay to provide a store of drinking water for the cattle and sheep. Bill asked about grazing for ponies and was saddened to learn that, elsewhere in the Black Mountains, ponies were bred for work down the mines.

At last they reached the summit. It was a clear day; beyond the humps of the mountains and the deeps of the valleys, the open sea glistened in the far distance. Bill stood a long while gazing at the view, with the townsfolk clustered respectfullyround the summit. Bill asked Rhodri about the castle ruins down in Abergavenny. Rhodri told him it was a Norman castle built during the Normans’ long struggle to conquer Wales. The castle was ruined during the civil war in the seventeenth century between the roundheads and the cavaliers. But two hundred years before that, the castle had been besieged and the town had been burned to the ground by the last native Prince of Wales, Owain Glyndŵr, as part of his revolt against the Norman overlords.

‘The prince burned the town, you say. Why did he did he do that?’

‘Perhaps it was accident – houses burnt very easily in those days. But perhaps Owain had it burnt because it was a Norman town, a sort-of-colony. Owain wanted to restore the old Wales of his forefathers.’

Bill turned to Arthur: ‘Well, I guess Sitting Bull would’ve understood that.’

Bloor, Michael

Image: A row of cowboy boots from Pixabay.com

21 thoughts on “Buffalo Bill’s Day Out by Michael Bloor”

  1. Michael
    This is beautifully done. It quietly proves that racial wars, murders, have been a part of life since the beginning of people. And in a way miners live on their own reservations. Excellent way to tell the tale.
    Leila

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks for the kind words, Leila. Though truth to tell, this tale really wrote itself and Buffalo Bill’s character was a given! But it’s still pleasing to see it on the page under my name.

      Like

  2. A wonderfully evocative piece that makes a powerful point at the end. And I had no idea that BB visited South Wales (land of my grandma), so this sent me down an interesting early morning rabbit hole!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks Steven. Yes, it seems quite a stretch that Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show toured South Wales. But you’ll already have discovered, down your rabbit hole, that the show went everywhere, playing to crowned heads and peasants.

      Like

  3. When a figure that you have always thought of as pretty much just folklore comes into the real world it’s always a bit surprising but when he comes in and walks around in places that you know that is even more peculiar. I really enjoyed this and I’m sure the people at the time talked about it for the rest of their lives. Good stuff – thank you – Diane

    Liked by 2 people

    1. Thanks Diane. You’re quite right: I lived for many years in that old quarryworker’s cottage and everyone in Abergavenny did indeed know the story of Buffalo Bill climbing The Sugar Loaf.
      Afraid I forgot to tell you til now that I finished ‘The Auld Author’ Noah Gordon’s ‘The Physician.’ Thanks for the recommendation: it was a great galloping read.

      Like

  4. Interesting history lesson, embracing everything from the roundheads and the cavaliers to “Ghost dance” of the Sioux, cloaked in a veneer of likely fiction. Itriguing travelogue, makes the reader want to delve further into our respective histories. Nice on, Michael.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks! Yep, history is full of unlikely but true stories, like Buffalo Bill climbing a mountain in South Wales accompanied by his local fan club!

      Like

  5. What an interesting piece of history that, I’m pretty sure, I never would have come across if it wasn’t in this terrific story – excellent way to start the evening. Thank-you!

    Liked by 1 person

  6. Thanks! Owain Glyndwr is another historical character who leaps off the page like Buffalo Bill. Che Guevara claimed that Glyndwr invented guerilla warfare.

    Liked by 1 person

  7. Dear Michael,
    Hello, I was immediately drawn in by this swift-moving tale which shows the connections between the mythology/history/landscapes of Wales and the Great Plains of the U.S.A. Your presentation of Buffalo Bill reveals his enthusiasm and open-hearted humanity. The use of Sitting Bull as a secondary/background character adds another layer to the spirituality/mystery of this enormous figure and his crucifixion. Also, the language in the piece is clean, precise, and enjoyable. And, at times, it reminded me of “The Pied Piper of Hamelin” by Robert Browning.
    Thanks for this story, I felt like I really “got” it!
    Dale

    Liked by 1 person

  8. Well, thanks Dale – never been compared to Robert Browning before!
    I believe you’re on the money about Buffalo Bill. Some of the Western heroes may’ve had feet of clay, but definitely not Buffalo Bill.

    Like

  9. Hi Mick,

    You do love your history and your writing is infectious because of that.
    This isn’t a criticism,more a compliment, I would probably have enjoyed reading a bit more!!

    I think the tie in with the last line lifts this somewhere special!!

    Hope all is well with you my fine friend.

    Hugh.

    Like

    1. Ha! You’ve gently encouraged me to write longer pieces before, Hugh. And the editor is always right. I really will give it a go when I stumble on a longer plot. This plot (man walks up hill, chatting to child) seemed a bit too thin.

      Like

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.