All Stories, General Fiction

Mriya by George Nevgodovskyy

Mriya

To the boy it looks like a ravaged animal. Its head ripped-off, body torn apart with stringy guts hanging out. Scattered chunks of flesh strewn around the barren hangar.

“Thank God your grandfather is not here to see this,” the boy’s mother says. “He wanted to watch it take off one last time.”

They gather around the laptop as a family sipping milky black tea, watching footage of the wreck of the An-225 Mriya. The famed cargo plane, the one the boy’s grandfather helped build when he was an aircraft mechanic at the Antonov Design Bureau. His mother was just a girl back then, playing hide and seek amidst the birch trees while her father worked on what would become the largest airplane in the world, designed to haul massive Soviet space orbiters. The boy pictures the Mriya alive, cutting through clouds like a metal raptor with the entire world beneath its wings.

It’s been a week since the invasion began, when their kitchen became the epicentre of war correspondence. Sometimes when his uncle called, the boy heard bombs exploding through his father’s phone speaker. And each time it amazed the boy that his uncle, a man he’d never met, refused to hang-up and rush to the subway shelter without saying goodbye.

When you know that any conversation might be your last, you make certain that your final words count.

But other times the boy heard nothing – an emphatic silence. His parents scrolling through photos of dust and debris on their laptop. Charred apartment buildings and splintered sidewalks. The boy would often avoid partaking in such moments, afraid to intrude on something that appeared sacred, intimate. Like a vigil for the dead.

Mriya, the news report tells him, means dream. The boy did not know before the news anchor said so, for he had never learned the language of his homeland. Instead, what he’d learned was to accept that there would always be hidden corridors, sealed chambers in his parents’ lives to which he would never gain access. When he was not in the room, the boy would often hear his parents speaking to each other in strange melodies – like a secret code passed between two thieves in the night – and he would picture that distant land where those melodies had originated, a country both foreign and familiar.

And he often wondered: did they ever regret leaving?  

After their marriage it wasn’t long before his parents left to seek a different life, a different plane – one that would take them to the other side of the globe. It wasn’t easy at first. They worked tirelessly to fit into an alien, unforgiving world, where they meant less than nothing to the people around them. We’ve all heard the old story. But as time droned on the pieces started coming together, until one day they had a complete picture of their new life sitting there before them. It was only recently that they began considering saving money to take the boy back home, to see the statues and the golden-domed churches. Their summerhouse, the wheat fields and the wild gooseberry bushes. The family he’d never met.

Now they wonder if returning would ever be possible again.

Now they watch the attack on the city of their youth – bridges shattered, buildings levelled, airports occupied. For an instant the boy glances over at their faces, attempting to read their emotions, and is met only with impenetrable, glassy eyes – as if painted onto wooden Matryoshka dolls – devoid of anything that he can grasp or recognize. Devoid of any clinging shred of hope.

Eventually they finish their tea – the mother, the father, then the boy – leaving only an empty kettle on the table before them. It will sit there through the night while the family sleeps peacefully in their beds, where there is no distant machine gun fire, no thundering of bombs to sever the flickering pictures in their heads.

And in the quiet dark, the boy dreams of a place where he had never been, while his parents dream of wild gooseberries.

George Nevgodovskyy

Image by Daniel Steinke from Pixabay 

8 thoughts on “Mriya by George Nevgodovskyy”

  1. Hi George,
    To be honest, this wouldn’t be my reading choice.
    But it was such a beautiful piece of writing that I was more than happy to vote for this being on the site.
    In fact, we all said yes to this.
    Hope to see more from you very soon.
    Hugh

    Like

  2. George
    The linking the present through the past is tastefully done here. The child who is still linked to a land his roots began but to where he has never been comes alive. Assimilation has yet to clear the books.
    Leila

    Like

  3. The story of a kid becoming aware of an incomprehensible world. The whole theme of the Soviet plane at the beginning sets the sense of the parents’ past. The allusion to Chekhov at the end (whether intended or not) quite poignant…. home is where the heart is, as they say.

    Like

  4. I despair of the world. It was only a few years ago that I learned that ‘Where have all the flowers gone” is a loop – the end is the beginning. When will they ever learn. No one wins a war with the possible exception of politicians and weapon makers. I support any art that is anti-war.

    Like

  5. Beautiful writing on a harrowing theme. This piece made me quite emotional (and I do my best, often in failure, to be a tough nut!). I couldn’t help but think of the situation in Ukraine at the moment, and this is not to make it political at all, but I lived in Ukraine for 2 years, and lived in Russia for 5 years a longer time ago and so what’s happening there is heartbreaking – just as this piece of writing in its subject and tone. Excellent work.

    Like

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.