All Stories, Literally Reruns

Literally Reruns – The Cave by Diane M. Dickson

Leila has finished her run of women writers with this one – aw shucks – blushes furiously:

The Man in a Trap Story (sorry pronoun gestapo) has been around for ages. In fact, I view it as a specific art form like the haiku. Trap stories require a sure pen and the ability to slowly increase the tension and develop the character and make the reader feel the Trap slowly closing in on her. Here, Diane has written a hell of a rollicker of a Man in a Trap Story. All the conditions for its success have been met, and it rolls along nicely–in spite of its brevity.

Q: Tom remains optimistic and positive all the way through. Not having him overtly panic or somehow channel his inner superhero and get out of the fix is brilliant. You could have easily had him freak out to increase the tension. How early on did you decide on his personality?

Q: You place the reader in the cave. The descriptions are vivid and immersive. Do you have experience at, ummm, spelunking (I think), or did this require research?

Q: Although I shouldn’t ask, I think it has a happy ending. Am I right, or have I transgressed?

Leila Allison

Diane’s responses

Q: Tom remains optimistic and positive all the way through. Not having him overtly panic or somehow channel his inner superhero and get out of the fix is brilliant. You could have easily had him freak out to increase the tension. How early on did you decide on his personality?

He’s arrogant, isn’t he? As such I don’t think he can contemplate the idea of disaster. I think he came ready made to be honest. I could almost see him and he was a conglomeration of many ahem’ beings who identify as the non female type of human’.

Q: You place the reader in the cave. The descriptions are vivid and immersive. Do you have experience at, ummm, spelunking (I think), or did this require research?

I haven’t ever gone caving – my brother did and looking at his photographs was as near as I ever wanted to get. I don’t mind a cave as long as it’s one of those with a knowledgeable guide and a nice safety rail. However, the idea of going deep into the earth without an easy way out fascinates me in the way I am interested in what it feels like to be chased by a wild bear – probably pretty intense as experiences go but I don’t actually want to do it. I think that I have slight claustrophobia – not enough to preclude a ride in a lift but enough to make me dislike the idea of a mountain on top of me. I also feel that life is dangerous enough without putting oneself deliberately in harm’s way. I think that’s best left to people in lycra suits with unlikely muscle tone.

Q: Although I shouldn’t ask, I think it has a happy ending. Am I right, or have I transgressed?

Well now? Let’s say that I didn’t particularly like Tom and leave it at that!

***

The Cave

10 thoughts on “Literally Reruns – The Cave by Diane M. Dickson”

  1. I like this story even though it made my legs tremble with the thought of just hanging there and waiting. My thanks to Diane for her replies. I guess Tom is doomed, forever and ever…

    Like

    1. Well – I suppose you can make an ending to suit how you feel about him. I have to say – reading it again – I was mean to him, wasn’t I. Thanks so much for choosing this.

      Liked by 1 person

  2. A good selection and interesting Q and A. As a fellow claustrophobic, I also was made uncomfortable by the effective description of the MC’s predicament. I’d hoped the bright light was a flashlight, but apparently not.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. So well written Mrs D (no surprise there!). The tension and claustrophobia builds almost unbearably. As someone who did a bit of caving in my youth I can conjure up some vivid images and be glad that I grew out of such nonsense!

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Excellent questions, answers and choice as always!!
    Years ago at the request of our Careers Teacher, I filled in a questionnaire that was supposed to highlight what job I was suited to do.
    I laughed when my results came back and it stated that I should be a fireman.
    I am scared of heights, claustrophobic and colour blind. I also have an abundance of self preservation.
    And on-top of all that – I’ve always enjoyed burning things!!

    Thanks ladies – It was great to see this one back on the site!!
    Hugh

    Like

    1. Ha! My aptitude test results said that I’d be a good accountant. I’ve done books some in the past, stat reports, cash sheets etc. I do them just fine. But it is easily the dullest activity I have ever done. How come no one gets “bum” or “parasite” on theirs? Those fields are over crowded.

      Like

  5. It’s a wonderful story. Tom is a complex man. This comes across in his thoughts and contemplations in the cave. The eeriness only increases and when it seems that all’s lost that light shining down. Leaving the reader in such a wanting situation is brilliant. 🙂

    Like

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.