All Stories, Writing

Week 254 – A Shout From Noddy, A Nod To Next Week And TT Showing His True Colours.

Here we are at Week 254.

We have a few things to get through on this posting.

This will actually be our last before Christmas but I’ll get to everything in order.

So first off, let’s deal with this week’s stories.

We had two new writers, me, a returning author and a multi-talented friend of the site.

Our topics this week include; Job loss, fiddling, no surprise, a diagnosis and a fixation. As always our initial comments follow.

Monday began the week as it normally does and we were delighted to publish Mr Adam Kluger.

This was Adam’s 44th story for us. Hopefully, he will hit the 50 mark very soon.

They Would Never‘ was first up.

‘This is rather deep!’

‘As always there is much more to Adam’s stories than we first think.’

‘The MC has allowed thoughts of ‘What if…’ that we all have to evolve into something touching on obsession.’

Understanding John‘ was my story which was next up.

I have a weird wee thanks I would like to make.

I’ve said many times that I am absolute shite at titles, in fact I’m not even as good as that. So it was a relief for me to be inspired by one of my favourite bands of the 1980s – ‘The Icicle Works’. I was delighted to realise that one of their best tracks with a tweak could become my title. So my ‘Understanding John’ actually came from the brilliant, ‘Understanding Jane’. (One of the best driving songs ever!! Crank it up loud and hit the accelerator!)

Thanks to all who read and comment, you make my day. And as always to Nik and Diane for still putting up with my witterings!

As always, we welcome both our new writers. We hope that they have fun on the site and we’ll be delighted to have a look at any other stories from them.

Shane Borrowman was our first new author of the week.

His story ‘Think What You Did‘ was published on Wednesday.

‘This shows how getting into a rut in your work life can lead to getting into a rut in general’

‘The reader feels the boredom and monotony of the MC’s life.’

‘Excellent tone and pace – I really enjoyed this.’

On Thursday it was a quick return for Simon Bell.

We’re delighted to see this writer being showcased on the site once again.

Fear‘ was nearly the last story of the week.

‘The Confusion and despair at suddenly finding yourself out of work was well done.’

‘The link to the book was intriguing.’

‘There was mystique in the playing out of his work demise.’

And we finished off with Kent Quaney.

We include Kent in the above welcome and good wishes.

Pacheco Boulevard‘ was next up on Friday.

‘His family was a mix-match of contradiction and this is closer to life than any specifics.’

‘There are a few layers throughout, it makes you think.’

‘The different approach to the punctuation wasn’t an issue, it was clear from the outset.’

As a very overrated bunch of university twits once said, and now for something completely different.

We’re holding back the Re-Run this week. Leila deserves a well earned rest. She has put up her Christmas tree 47 times and the wee fiends that are her cats keep climbing up it, knocking it down. It has now become a battle of wills. Leila is determined to win and hasn’t slept for three days. She has tried enticing them with tuna but one eats and the other knocks over the tree. They then take turns at attacking the Christmas Tree Box. This is a stalemate that could go on until Easter. If it does, well God knows who’ll be crucified!!

We have a bonus story for you tomorrow.

For obvious reasons I can’t do a review so all I’ll say is that Mike Ramon is new to the site.

When we read his story we knew that it would be perfect as our last one of the year. (Sort of – I’ll come to that)

Now once you have read it I don’t want you all getting all sentimental and mushy. Remember the true meaning of Christmas – Get as pissed as possible as quickly as possible! And of course fables can become an organised religion that needs tinsel.

If that wasn’t enough, we have more treats from Monday 23rd to Friday 27th. We will explain everything on Monday’s Post but just to let you know that it is Tom Sheehan Week in celebration of his 100th story!!!!

That’ll be us until Monday 6th January 2020 when everything gets back to normal.

We’ll still be around now and then so if inspiration is in your stocking, don’t hesitate to send us your submissions and of course all comments and suggestions for The Sunday Re-Run are always gratefully received.

All that is left for me to do is thank you all for your friendship, in-put and inspirational stories. I hope that you have a wonderful time and get all that you deserve.

I will raise a toast to everyone involved with the site.

And remember what Tiny Tim said, ‘Fucking Goose! I wanted Turkey!’

Tiny Tim was more of a prick than he was made out to be.

ALL THE VERY BEST TO YOU ALL!!!

Hugh

***

Lovely, romantic slushy Christmas greetings from Hugh as we would all expect.

It’s been a very busy year, more submissions than ever and some really great reading.  I wish everyone the very best of peace and happiness over the Christmas season and the whole of the New Year and to my two wonderful friends – thank you and cheers – yes and go on then, even though it’ll make Hugh puke (oh that nearly rhymes) Love to you guys and your families. x

dd

***

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda as we say in this part of Cape Town!

Old Hugh is the Master of Wit
When mostly I sound like a tit
How lucky for we
To be blessed with DD
To keep us in line just a bit

Have a great holiday season one and all – see you in 2020

nik

4 thoughts on “Week 254 – A Shout From Noddy, A Nod To Next Week And TT Showing His True Colours.”

  1. And a Merry Christmas and New Year to you all too.

    Clearly I now feel that I have been a lazy b.&*%£$ over the last few years, when I see story contributions from single authors in the region of – 44 and 100 stories.
    So what am I going to do about it, write more?

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Hi James,
      That can be a resolution or hopefully, something that you stick to!
      Thanks for all your support over the years.
      Hope you and your family have a brilliant time throughout the holidays!!
      All the very best my friend.
      Hugh

      Liked by 1 person

  2. It has been raining for thirty-six consecutive hours. I only make mention of this because it’s much dryer (or is that “drier?” Could look it up but I won’t) and warmer in here than it is out there. There’s a homeless, feral cat outside whom I’ve been feeding to the point that the bastard has gotten finicky about what I serve him. He took two shots at me today until I brought out some fish. I call him “Hister” in honor of the lucky near miss Nostradumbass had with Hitler. If somewhere in Hister’s green-gold eyes shines the true meaning of Christmas then it must involve killing shit and sleeping in the laundry room. And yet he seems content as long as no one tries to pass off dry food as breakfast.
    Merry Christmas to all,
    LA

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Hi Leila,
      Years ago when I was staying somewhere I wanted to, we had a cat that visited. He was a food whore who travelled around house to house. We called him ‘Jimmy The Bag’ as he looked like ‘Bagpuss’ but when he made a sound he did a cracking Jimmy Stewart impression.
      Thanks for everything Leila.
      I hope you and yours – Fiends and Ferals included have a cracking Christmas!!!
      Hugh

      Like

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.