All Stories, Horror

Word Puppet by Nik Eveleigh

typewriter

Right now. Right at this very moment. The moment we are sharing through the medium of a page and the words it contains a man is washing blood from a nine inch blade. His hands are shaking and not just from the chill of the brown water that alternately dribbles then vomits from a rusting tap.

The bathroom is stark. You know the type. Single, naked bulb throwing diseased shards of light into your brain, alive with a frequency on the ragged edge of your hearing. The floor tiles might be white under the patina of despair, shit and god knows what else. The ones on the walls are much the same but with more graffiti to hide their shame. The mirror above the sink keeps showing the same re-run of a man washing a knife. He looks familiar but he’s changed. Hollowed out. He has no idea why he is cleaning the knife but he doesn’t stop.

Someone screams in another room. The thick walls dull the piercing edge of the sound but it can’t paper over the rawness entirely. The knife starts shaking again. Three more broken screams follow in quick succession. Then nothing.

The man knows he needs to move but the message is getting lost somewhere between his brain and his limbs. They will find the one he killed soon. Then they will find him and the favour will be returned. Unlike the thing he killed with a single panicked thrust, his will not be a simple death, nor will it be quick.

A single, straight corridor is all that separates the man from the world he knows. Far from this small corner of hell that seeks to engulf him. The thumping of his heart plays a rhythmic counterpoint to the spastic flicker of the strip lights overhead. Closed doors dot the walls on either side at regular intervals. Six, seven, eight, ni…

The door to his left is open a fraction. Not enough for anyone, anything inside to see him pass. Not enough for his shadow to squeeze inside and give him away. And yet the sounds from within draw him closer. Every drawn breath that sucks the air from beyond the door is filled with the coppery taint of death. The sounds are far worse. Wet noises, slippery as a slaughterhouse floor and thick with corruption. Entering the room holds no future, but is it any worse than the eternal haunting of not knowing? She couldn’t still be alive. Surely

He pushes the door a fraction. Enough to put his head around it for one glance. Enough to know. The noise is everywhere, pervasive as the dark. His eyes strain to adjust to the blackness and fail. He pushes the door an inch, and then another, and then…

Silence.

The man holds his breath, lungs burning. Something diseased licks against his cheek and he punctures the silence with his screams.

Right now. Right at this very moment. The moment we are sharing through the medium of a page and the words it contains a man is howling along a corridor as a hundred portals holding back death click open.

How do I know this? Because he’s mine. I dreamed his very existence.

And with enough will and imagination I might even be able to save him.

Nik Eveleigh

9 thoughts on “Word Puppet by Nik Eveleigh”

  1. Oh yes, this is a great horror story of the author getting away with murder. The character, the puppet on the string of words, is the victim as the master strokes his chin and thinks the worse. In many ways authors have a clear mindset that I am sure should see them behind bars or, at least, in the nearby state hospital of Carstairs.
    Great feeling of intensity and masterfully penned ..’dirty walls with graffiti to cover their shame’.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Thanks James – as ever you are generous with your time and praise and it’s much appreciated. I’m pleased that this story worked – I’d been battling to come up with anything for a while and this one got me out of a rut!

    Like

  3. Hi Nik,
    It’s been way too long!
    Great to see you adding to your back catalogue, especially with such a clever piece of work.
    All the very best my friend.
    Hugh

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a reply to gwencron Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.